Balchem Meat Solutions
Deli sandwiches just aren’t complete without the savory, salty addition of cured meats; and backyard grilling is just smoke without a few juicy, chargrilled burgers sizzling on the grates. Meat is the center of many celebratory meals and a market favorite for snack time.
Our MeatShure® encapsulated ingredient solutions keep cured, case, and restructured meats fresher longer, enhance texture, and improve production processes so you can deliver better results and achieve more efficiency.
Our Meat Segments
Balchem Ingredient Solutions produces a line of encapsulated ingredients called MeatShure® that primarily includes acidulants and salts. Our MeatShure® product line offers processed meat manufacturers a dramatic edge in production efficiencies and product quality improvement.
Our MeatShure® ingredients are used in a variety of meat segments including:
- Cured Meats: snack sticks, summer sausages, pepperoni, salami, chorizo, pork rolls,
- Case Meats: hamburgers, sausages, meatballs, meatloaf
- Restructured Meats: gyros, kebabs, nuggets, Philadelphia-style cheesesteak
Need custom solutions for more than just meat?
The Meat Solution You’ve Been Searching For
One of the most common challenges faced in the meat industry is to provide a product that looks, feels, and tastes exceptional. Meat is a very touchy food product for a number of reasons. For suppliers, it’s often very difficult to maintain proper shelf life. For consumers, they’ve often wary of meat products due to the known consequences of consuming foul meat. This means that in order to gain the trust of your customers, you must provide meat products that are high quality and follow strict food safety guidelines.
As a strategic ingredient supply partner, we help to maximize the growth opportunities for your company and products by:
- Understanding your company’s goals
- Addressing your market needs
- Innovating and optimizing your product offerings
- Taking advantage of the trends that are shaping and driving the industry
- Offering advanced manufacturing capabilities
Why Balchem Meat Solutions?
Our MeatShure® line of products has solved numerous issues in the meat processing industry. Specifically, our precision released acidulants and salts are delivering consistent acid levels, accelerated production speeds, and reduced microbial growth to a broad range of processed meat manufacturers.
We offer both off-the-shelf and highly customized ingredient solutions for:
- Consistent pH Levels
- Shelf Life Improvements
- Improved texture
- Color retention in meat
By encapsulating acidulants, MeatShure® has dramatically reduced production times for fermented sausages traditionally made using lactic acid starter cultures. Encapsulation now allows the acidulants to be time-released, achieving the same effects in a short period of time that previously required a lengthy fermentation process.
MeatShure® Encapsulated Salts
Salt (sodium chloride) is commonly used as a functional ingredient in processed meats, a flavoring in seasonings, and a means of preservation. MeatShure® encapsulated salt helps control bind, syneresis, protein extraction and delays the onset of oxidative rancidity for longer shelf life.
The use of MeatShure® encapsulates also helps to optimize high-speed forming operations by preventing salt-soluble proteins from accumulating on equipment. This helps reduce patty adhesion/malformation and cleaning delays all while increasing process yield.
Benefits of Encapsulated Salts:
- Minimize salt- solubilization of myofibrillar proteins
- Prevents sticking on the line
- Improved texture in the cooked product
- Promotes good forming
- Slows the oxidative reactions between salt and fats
- Allows for more flexibility in production
- Provides improved freeze-thaw tolerance
Applications of Encapsulated Salts:
- Fresh/Frozen Sausage
- Meatballs, Pizza Crumbles
- Meat rubs
MeatShure® encapsulated acidulants are used to control pH, develop acidic flavor profiles and increase process efficiency in ready-to-eat meats. MeatShure® acids can be used as an alternative to traditional fermentation methods. This allows for the acid to be directly mixed into the meat emulsion without negatively impacting the meat proteins or breaking the emulsion itself. The encapsulated acidulants are subsequently released from the coating by the combined effects of heat and moisture lowering pH and delivering desired flavor profiles.
Direct Acidification for Meat Applications:
- Encapsulation controls reactivity of water-soluble ingredients
- Can be directly mixed into meat emulsion
- Prevents protein denaturation and extraction
- Reduces syneresis
- The active ingredient is released by combined efforts of heat, force, and moisture after stuffing
Benefits of Acidulants:
- Flexibility in hold times
- Minimize handling issues
- Increased product throughput
- Maintain higher quality texture in cooked meat
- Meat Restructuring
- Maximizes the value of meat trimmings
- Acn bind all types of lean meat
- No specific requirement for the size of meat pieces
- Appearance, cooking, and loss similar to that of unbound processed meat
- Permits accurate portion control
Applications for Acidulants:
- Roast beef
- Philadelphia-style cheesesteak
- Poultry nuggets
- Meat chubs